Monday, May 3, 2010

What now....?

Today was dads hospital follow up day. Not a good day at all. Dad was in hospital in december because of his liver failure. In march his amonia level was 34, when he went to the hospital in April, appox. a month apart dads amonia level was 96.6. His amonia level trippled in a month. Amonia causes the confusion, it goes into his brain. If you have ever cleaned with amonia you know how it burns your nose and throat... imagine what it does to your brain. So, they tripple the amount of Lactulos. Anyway, doctor only refilled his Lactulos for 2 mos. Reinformed me he is in end stage liver failure. And I said "basically we are keeping him comfortable." he said "Yes" and took him off his other meds.

So now what? Do I call relatives scattered accross the country so they can visit if they like before he passes? Or, do I wait and call after. This one is a tough one. So... tomorrow I will be looking for hospice care... in home of course. My sister says she would rather dad pass away in a hospital in case he has pain. I pretty sure the Dr. will help in that area. I would rather Dad pass away at home, comfortable in his own bed. I mean really, what can a nurse do that I can't do? I'm ... oh I don't.. upset? relieved? I do know, that I, Danielle, will have no regrets knowing I am doing everything possible for my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment