Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dad

Ok so now that Ive been doing this a few days I should give you a background on who I am referring to in these posts. Dad... alcoholic... when I moved out here to help mom he was forgetting a lot already. Still driving and drinking a case (24) of beer a day. for the first two years i slowly startd going to the store for them cause i noticed dad was drinking in the morning. And mom began to rely on me a lot more, but at that time mom was fine, just old. Eventually My family packed up and moved in. took me about a year to wean dad off the beer. I started by buying 12 packs then gradually just bring out 6.. then 5, 4, 3, 2 and so forth... then every couple days one would show up in the fridge.. lol .. this is how I got my father off alcohol without him going into DT's. Now dad had never been to a doctor. And shortly after I moved in I signed him up for the Veterans Association and got him in for a check up... wow that was hard.. he was practically kicking and screaming. diagnosed with hardening of the liver, emphazema, and alcohol induced dementia. Dad slipped fast. He is still with us but is at end of life, end stage liver failure. Rarely does dad or the essence of the dad I knew, come out. Last night several times Dad saw his brother, mind you his brother died 2 years ago. They are going for a ride he told me. I also caught him talking to someone, I heard him yell at one point and he said who is that. who is who. that man. Your tired dad.. lets put you to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment